Fresh Lemon-Coconut Cake
1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
5 large eggs, separated
2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1. For cake, heat oven to 350 degrees; coat 2 (9x2-inch round cake pans with baking spray.
2. In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat butter at medium-high speed until creamy.
4. Add sugar; beat 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in yolks, one at a time.
6. Beat in lemon zest and juice and vanilla.
7. On low speed, beat in flour mixture (in fourths) alternately with sour cream (in thirds), until combined.
8. In a bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites at high speed, until stiff peaks form.
9. Fold into batter; spread in prepared pans.
10. Bake 32-34 minutes.
11. Let cakes cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; turn cakes out.
12. Cool completely.
13. For lemon filling, In saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt.
14. Whisk in water, yolks and lemon juice.
15. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute.
16. Remove from heat, whisk in butter until melted and smooth.
17. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap; let cool to room temperature.
18. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread filling evenly over top of layer; cover with remaining layer.
19. For frosting, in a heatproof bowl, mix all ingredients except extracts and coconut.
20. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat 1 minute.
21. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure bowl doesn't touch water.
22. On high speed, beat until stiff, shiny peaks form, 7 minutes.
23. Remove bowl from heat; add extracts.
24. Beat 5 minutes, or until frosting is cool.
25. Frost cake.
26. Sprinkle with coconut
As we believe that stylishly home often represented in a woman who care about home decors, delicious food recipes, and perfect beauty care recipes. So stylishly home brings you our hand selection of the best interior design, furniture decoration ideas, best food recipes, and effective beauty care recipes. Please Check our disclaimer Page.